Field Investigators @ ICRISAT, Hyderabad
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian nationals for the position of Field Investigators, to be based at the selected villages of Andhra Pradesh in India in its project on “Tracking Change in Rural Poverty in Household and Village Economies in South Asia”. This is a nationally recruited position.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, apolitical, international organization for science-based agricultural development. Established in 1972, it is an Alliance of centers of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks. To reduce poverty, enhance crop productivity and food security and to protect the environment, ICRISAT research focuses on farming systems and crop improvement, management and utilization of sorghum, pearl millet, pigeonpea, chickpea, and groundnut in the semi-arid tropics.
- Investigate into the rural poverty and agriculture in the Semi-Arid Tropics of India mainly through regular interactions with rural households, collection of quality data from the farmers and other stakeholders using structured questionnaires with different modules so as to complement the existing longitudinal panel data with ICRISAT.
- Arranging interactive meetings with farmers and facilitate communication of ICRISAT project staffs with farmers and other stakeholders, and helping other researchers in data collection
- Provide useful feedback from the village to the research team at ICRISAT to improve the survey checklists, questionnaires, and also to fill the gaps found in quantitative data.
- In the process, the incumbent is expected to build a good rapport with the villagers and communicate with them on a regular basis in local languages/dialects.
- Proficiency in computer skills (MS – Office).
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
- Good team player and adaptable to working in multicultural team.
- Post-graduate in Agricultural Economics, or any other Agricultural Discipline/Agri-Business Management/Economics/Sociology, with Graduate in Agricultural Science and rural background. (Preference will be given to the candidates experienced in working in the rural area and with previous experience of farm household survey)
- Applicants should have excellent communication skills in spoken and written local language of Telugu and in English, and also being able to communicate in Hindi is desirable).
- The applicant should have an inclination to the rural setting and be willing to stay in the village.
- The applicant should be a good team player with public relation skills.
- Experience in undertaking socio-economic surveys in rural areas, good knowledge in application of basic computer software (MS word, excel), and analyzing socioeconomic survey
- Previous experience in analysis of socioeconomic data is desirable.
The position is for two years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the Institute’s continuing need for the position. An attractive compensation is offered for the right candidate.
How to Apply: The application should include an up-to-date resume, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including phone & e-mail) of three referees and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title clearly on the application/envelope, to Human Resources Services, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh 502 324, or by E-mail to icrisat.nrsjobs, latest by 25 February 2013. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
“ICRISAT strongly welcomes women candidates to apply"