Scientific Officer (Economics) @ ICRISAT
Scientific Officer (Economics)
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian nationals for the position of Scientific Officer (Economics) to be based at ICRISAT, Patancheru, Hyderabad in India. This is a nationally recruited position.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, apolitical, international organization for science-based agricultural development. Established in 1972, it is an Alliance of centers of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks. To reduce poverty, enhance crop productivity and food security and to protect the environment, ICRISAT research focuses on farming systems and crop improvement, management and utilization of sorghum, pearl millet, pigeonpea, chickpea, and groundnut in the semi-arid tropics.
- Processing and validation of primary and secondary survey data received from partners
- Statistical analysis of household survey data and prepare analytical tables, charts, and graphs
- Assist the team in drafting reports and policy brief, and review of literature on selected topics
- Work with the partners in the project activities in selected states in India
- Collection of cross-section farm household survey data (social science issues)
- Assist scientists for analysis of survey data, preparation of draft tables, and reports
- Management of the project specific socioeconomic survey data as assigned
- Travel to different parts of rural India and facilitate rapid survey in villages as required
- Proficiency in computer skills (MS – Office)
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
- Good team player and adaptable to working in multicultural team
- Master degree in Agricultural Economics, Natural Resources Economics, Applied Economics, or Development Economics, with 2-3 years of work experience in socio-economic research
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and complete assigned tasks on time
- Excellent working experience in application of MS excel and Word processing, and also capable in using one of the econometric software such as STATA, or E-view, or SPSS, or SAS
- Carrying out monitoring and evaluation surveys at the targeted villages in collaboration with other scientists and partners
- Strong interpersonal skills, a team spirit, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Familiarity with management and processing of socioeconomic data, and data analysis
- Strong verbal and writing skills in English
- Previous experience in conducting Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA), or Rapid Rural Appraisal (RRA), and
- Preference will be given to candidate with experience on impacts assessment or impacts of development program on Rural Development and rural livelihoods.
The position is for two years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the Institute’s continuing need for the position. An attractive compensation is offered for the right candidate.
How to Apply:
The application should include an up-to-date resume, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including phone & e-mail) of three referees and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title clearly on the application/envelope, to Human Resources Services, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh 502 324, or by E-mail toicrisat.nrsjobs, latest by 10 May 2013. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.