4th CESI Annual International Conference 2013
4th CESI Annual International Conference 2013
Theme: Education, Diversity and Democracy
Venue: ISI, Kolkata Campus
December 28-30, 2013
Comparative Education Society of India (CESI) (An Affiliate of the World Congress of Comparative Education Societies)
Organised by Department of Economics, University of Calcutta in association with Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata; Institute for Development Studies, Kolkata; Pratichi Institute, Kolkata
For any nation, progress in educational front – school education, higher education and technical education – is a prerequisite for development. It takes into account all three dimensions together: economic, social and cultural development. Also, educational progress has more than one positive externality across generations. Education is thus, in true sense, a representative example of multi-disciplinary research. Another feature, simultaneously true, is that it is a combination of academic research and field based action oriented research.
An international conference on education is a right platform for the purpose of dissemination and exchange of research results involving all these areas and related fields. The Department of Economics, University of Calcutta, as a part of its centenary celebration, is hosting this international conference under the aegis of the Comparative Education Society of India (CESI). Three premiere research institutes of Kolkata – the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), The Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata (IDSK), and the Pratichi Institute – are co-operating in such an effort of the University.
The CESI Annual Conference 2013 seeks to bring together a variety of theoretical and empirical perspectives to arrive at a better understanding of the issues involved. Through a reflexive inter-action, scholars and researchers in the field of education would deliberate on the challenges facing our country and the world.
The suggested sub-themes of the conference are as follows:
- Challenges of multicultural education
- Education and its relationship with democracy
- Inequalities in education
- Empirical and theoretical perspectives on diversity in education
- Affirmative action policies and its effects
- Methods of assessment, evaluation and social ranking
- Teacher education
- Educational policies and practices
- Management of diversity in schools/educational governance
- Work, occupations and educational transformations
- Community participation and civil society organizations in education
- Education of marginal groups
- Private sector in education
- Education and gender
- Curriculum and pedagogy
- Social movements and politics of change in education
- Migration and education/Education of migrant groups
- Technology and changing classroom practices
- The history of educational systems
- Experiencing pluralism in schools/colleges
- Poverty and Education
- Inclusion of weaker sections including the differently abled
- Concepts, theories and methods in educational studies
- Education and development
- Education, pluralism and conflict
- Analyzing textbooks with reference to equality, diversity and inclusion
- The state of education in West Bengal
Call for Papers
Papers are invited on any of the themes mentioned under concept note. The list of sub-themes is only suggestive. The abstracts must give a sense of the uniqueness of the topic and the theoretical or empirical or analytical research grounding of the themes chosen for presentation. The abstracts must state the research questions/problems succinctly. Abstracts are also expected to include literature survey and research methodology. Participants are requested to contribute original and well researched papers for the conference.Peer review process will be followed in accepting papers for presentation. Proposals for panel discussion are also invited.
Abstracts should ideally be within 500 words, typed in Times New Roman font of size 12 point with 1.5 line spacing. The margins of the page should be set to 1 inch (2.54 cm) on the four sides of a A4 size paper. 3 key words must be mentioned at the bottom of the abstract. The abstracts should be submitted in doc (or docx) and preferably also in pdf file formats.
Along with abstracts a one page top sheet containing following information should also be submitted: (i) Author’s name(s); (ii) Title of the paper; (iii) Institutional affiliation and designation; (iv) Mobile no. and (v) E-mail id. This doc file should be saved in the name of the author (first author in case of joint authors). These information are required to give you updates relating to conference.
The abstracts and panel proposals may be sent to the Conference Organizing Secretary, Dr. Rabindranath Mukhopadhyay at : submit. The last date of submission of abstracts is 30 June, 2013.
Last date for submission of Abstracts: 30th June, 2013
Confirmation of acceptance of the abstracts/ panels: 16th August, 2013
Last date for sending full papers: 27th October, 2013
Further details: www.cesikolkata2013.in